All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt the turn of the century, the Storyville district of New Orleans had some 2,000 prostitutes, 70 professional gamblers, and 30 pia players. It had only one man who played the cornet like Buddy Bolden. By day he cut hair and purveyed gossip at N. Joseph's Shaving Parlor. At night he played jazz as though unleashing wild animals in a crowded room. At the age of thirty-one, Buddy Bolden went mad. From these sparse facts Michael Ondaatje has created a haunting, lushly atmospheric vel about one of jazz's legendary pioneers and martyrs. Obsessed with death, addicted to whiskey, and self-destructively in love with two women, Buddy Bolden embodies all the dire claims that music places on its acolytes. And as told in Coming Through Slaughter, his story is as beautiful and chilling as a New Orleans funeral procession, where even the mourners dance.
- Author BiographyMichael Ondaatje is the author of three previous novels, a memoir and eleven books of poetry. His novel <b>The English Patient</b> won the Booker Prize. Born in Sri Lanka, he moved to Canada in 1962 and now lives in Toronto.
- Author(s)Michael Ondaatje
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- SubjectTrue Stories
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintVintage Books
- Out-of-print date14/07/2011
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight181 g
- Width133 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine11 mm
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $72.43
- AU $86.86Trending at AU $98.06
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $82.56
- AU $14.54Trending at AU $15.32
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.48
- AU $21.57Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $11.46Trending at AU $14.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.