All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe history of Commentary on the Law of Prize and Booty is complex. When Grotius's personal papers were auctioned in The Hague in 1864, Dutch scholars discovered that his famous Mare Liberum was just one chapter in a manuscript of 163 folios, written in justification of Jacob van Heemskerck's capture of the Santa Catarina, a Portuguese merchantman, in the Straits of Singapore in February 1603. A prominent Dutch historian of the nineteenth century, Robert Fruin, persuaded the classical scholar H. G. Hamaker to transcribe and publish it, and the Latin text was issued in 1868. This Liberty Fund edition is based on the one prepared by Gwladys L. Williams and Walter H. Zeydel for the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. It combines a revised text and new material, making it a highly attractive edition of a work that is difficult to obtain.
- Author BiographyHugo Grotius (1583-1645) was a great humanistic polymath, lawyer and legal theorist, diplomat and political philosopher, ecumenical activist and theologian.
- Author(s)Hugo Grotius
- PublisherLiberty Fund Inc
- Date of Publication01/01/2006
- Place of PublicationIndianapolis, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLiberty Fund Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight1050 g
- Width230 mm
- Height155 mm
- Spine43 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.77Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.