All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNationwide, approximately 1,000 Community Action agencies advocate for the poor and provide diverse but critical services such as (but t limited to) emergency food and shelter, energy bill assistance, weatherization, education, job training, transportation, housing, and health services. In the face of dynamic environments and shifting poverty needs, Community Action agencies are constantly seeking invative ways to effectively address poverty in their communities while building their internal capacity to ensure sustained impact and outcomes. This book focuses on the major leadership roles and responsibilities of the Community Action leaders, the types of challenges they face, and how they address those challenges, covering questions such as: * How do Community Action leaders identify the needs of low-income people and use that kwledge to tailor programs to meet those needs? * In what ways are low-income people involved in Community Action agencies (e.g. board or advisory council members, volunteers, employees, advocates)? What are the advantages and disadvantages associated with their participation? * How do the leaders and their staff assess and demonstrate the effectiveness of their organizations and programs? What challenges do they encounter in assessing and communicating performance? * What approaches are Community Action leaders using to diversify their revenues? What are the advantages and challenges associated with those approaches? * How are the leaders developing their staffs and preparing for leadership succession? * How do the leaders benefit from an affiliation with state and national associations? Through original and comprehensive research undertaken by the Center for State Policy and Leadership at the University of Illiis Springfield and the Illiis Association of Community Action Agencies (IACAA), this book is designed to inform and enhance leadership in Community Action agencies and other nprofit or government organizations with similar missions. It is written in a ntechnical manner and includes a chapter on the history and evolution of Community Action agencies for readers who are unfamiliar with Community Action and the War on Poverty. It will be required reading for professionals working at the frontlines of income inequality, as well as university professors and their students in the fields of public administration, nprofit management, and social work.
- Author BiographyBeverly S. Bunch is a Professor in the Public Administration Department and the Center for State Policy and Leadership at University of Illinois Springfield, USA. Dalitso S. Sulamoyo is the President/CEO of the Illinois Association of Community Action Agencies, a support organization to 40 nonprofit and public entities that address the effects of poverty throughout Illinois, USA. With J. Travis Bland is an Assistant Professor in the Public Administration Department at the University of Illinois Springfield, USA. Aaron M. Itulya is the Chief Fiscal Officer of the Illinois Labor Relations Board, USA. Lorena Johnson is the Director of the Certified Public Manager Program of Illinois, a nationally accredited professional development program located at the University of Illinois Springfield, USA. Junfeng Wang is an Associate Professor in the Department of Public Administration at the University of Illinois Springfield, USA.
- Author(s)Beverly S. Bunch,Dalitso Samson Sulamoyo
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication10/08/2016
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Series TitleASPA Series in Public Administration and Public Policy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note14 black & white illustrations, 9 black & white tables, 14 black & white line drawings
- Weight518 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $31.72Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.