All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.23
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.78
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.22
- AU $66.30Trending at AU $74.69
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.87
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.23
About this product
- DescriptionThe achievement of democratic forms of government ranging from liberal to communitarian strands has been a major priority for developing countries in their post-colonial histories. South Africa's quest to establish a multi-party democratic system of government has been influenced by liberal and communitarian perspectives of democracy. Yet, the attainment of democracy in South Africa has t been without contradictions, particularly related to majority rule, equality of opportunity, and rights. This book reconstructs a conception of deliberative democracy which can create possibilities for a developing country to deal more adequately with majoritarianism, equalising opportunities, and rights. It makes an argument for a rational, reflexive discourse-oriented procedure of deliberative democracy which cultivates a form of citizenship that recognises the need for citizens to care, reason and engage justly in political conversation with others.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Yusef Waghid is a Professor of Philosophy of Education in the Department of Education Policy Studies, Faculty of Education at the University of Stellenbosch. His research focuses on an analysis of concepts related to deliberative democracy, education transformation and citizenship education. He is the author of two books: Democratic education: policy and praxis and Education as virtue: cultivating practical reasoning and compassion.
- Author(s)Yusef Waghid
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/10/2003
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Series TitleEuropaische Hochschulschriften/European University Studies/Publications Universitaires Europeennes Reihe 20: Philosophie/Series 20: Philosophy/Serie 20: Philosophie
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 666
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Notebibliographical references
- Weight290 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.