All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.74
- AU $28.59Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $70.29Trending at AU $77.45
- AU $73.85Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
About this product
- DescriptionTelling the affecting stories of eighty gay, bisexual, and transgender (GBT) Lati activists and volunteers living in Chicago and San Francisco, Compa\u00f1eros: Lati Activists in the Face of AIDS closely details how these individuals have been touched or transformed by the AIDS epidemic. Weaving together activists' responses to oppression and stigma, their encounters with AIDS, and their experiences as GBTs and Latis in North America and Latin America, Jesus Ramirez-Valles explores the intersection of civic involvement with ethnic and sexual identity. Even as activists battle multiple sources of oppression, they are able to restore their sense of family connection and self-esteem through the creation of an alternative space in which community members find value in their relationships with one ather. In demonstrating the transformative effects of a nurturing community environment for GBT Latis affected by the AIDS epidemic, Ramirez-Valles illustrates that members find support in one ather, as compa\u00f1eros, in their struggles with homophobia, gender discrimination, racism, poverty, and forced migration.
- Author BiographyJesus Ramirez-Valles is a professor of community health sciences at the University of Illinois, Chicago.
- Author(s)Jesus Ramirez-Valles
- PublisherUniversity of Illinois Press
- Date of Publication04/10/2011
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Series TitleLatinos in Chicago and Midwest
- Place of PublicationBaltimore
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Illinois Press
- Content Note6 tables
- Weight295 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.