Company We Keep: A Husband-and-Wife True-Life Spy Story by Dayna Baer, Robert Baer (Paperback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $18.07Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $13.50Free postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by coochiecool
- Est. delivery by 5 Oct
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRobert Baer was kwn inside the CIA as perhaps the best operative working the Middle East. Over several decades he served everywhere from Iraq to New Delhi and racked up such an impressive list of accomplishments that he was eventually awarded the Career Intelligence Medal. But if his career was everything a spy might aspire to, his personal life was a brutal illustration of everything a spy is asked to sacrifice. Bob had few enduring n-work friendships, only contacts and acquaintances. His prolonged absences destroyed his marriage, and he felt intense guilt at spending so little time with his children. Sworn to secrecy and constantly driven by ulterior motives, he was a man apart wherever he went. Dayna Williamson thought of herself as just an ordinary California girl -- admittedly one born into a comfortable lifestyle. But she was always looking to get closer to the edge. When she joined the CIA, she was initially tasked with Agency background checks, but the attractive Berkeley graduate quickly distinguished herself as someone who could thrive in the field, and she was eventually assigned to Protective Operations training where she learned to handle weapons and explosives and conduct high-speed escape and evasion. Tapped to serve in some of the world's most dangerous places, she discovered an inner strength and resourcefulness she'd never kwn -- but she also came to see that the spy life exacts a heavy toll. Her marriage crumbled, her parents grew distant, and she lost touch with friends who'd once meant everything to her. When Bob and Dayna met on a mission in Sarajevo, it wasn't love at first sight. They were both too jaded for that. But there was something there, a spark. And as the danger escalated and their affection for each other grew, they realized it was time to leave the Company, to somehow rediscover the people they d once been. As worldly as both were, the couple didn t realize at first that turning in their Agency I.D. cards would t be eugh to put their covert past behind. The fact was, their clandestine relationships remained. Living as civilians in conflict-ridden Beirut, they fielded assassination proposals, met with Arab sheiks, wily oil tycoons, terrorists, and assorted outlaws and came perilously close to dying. But even then they couldn t kw that their most formidable challenge lay ahead. Simultaneously a trip deep down the intelligence rabbit hole one that shows how the game actually works, including the compromises it asks of those who play by its rules -- and a portrait of two people trying to regain a rmal life, The Company We Keep is a masterly depiction of the real world of shadows. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyROBERT BAER is the author of three New York Times bestsellers involving the CIA: See No Evil (which was the basis for the acclaimed film Syriana ), Sleeping with the Devil, and The Devil We Know. He has become one of the most authoritative voices on American intelligence and frequently appears as a media commentator. DAYNA BEAR, before leaving the agency to settle down with Bob, was herself an accomplished CIA operative. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Dayna Baer,Robert Baer
- PublisherBroadway Books (A Division of Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group Inc)
- Date of Publication22/03/2012
- SubjectTrue Stories
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBroadway Books (A Division of Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group Inc)
- Content Notemaps
- Weight227 g
- Width132 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine17 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.90Trending at AU $31.70
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $30.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.