All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.14
- AU $43.51Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.27
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $34.88
- AU $43.43Trending at AU $48.15
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $22.47
About this product
- DescriptionThe ?eld of composite materials has progressed greatly over the last few decades, as shown by the widespread use of ?brous composite - terials for airframes, sporting goods and other lightweight structures. Enabling this techlogical progress is scienti?c understanding of the design and mechanics of composite materials that involve continuous ?bers as the reinforcement. Current challenges in the ?eld of composite materials are associated with the extension of the ?eld of composite materials from structural composites to functional and multifunctional composites, the dev- opment of composite materials for electrical, thermal and other fu- tional applications that are relevant to current techlogical needs, and the improvement of composite materials through processing. Ex- ples of functions are joining (e. g. , brazing), repair, sensing, actuation, deicing (as needed for aircraft and bridges), energy conversion (as needed to generate clean energy), electrochemical electrodes, el- trical connection, thermal contact improvement and heat dissipation (i. e. , cooling, as needed for microelectronics and aircraft). Processing includes the use of additives (which may be introduced as liquids or solids), the combined use of ?llers (including discontinuous ones) at the micrometer and nameter scales, the formation of hybrids (such as organic-irganic hybrids), the modi?cation of the interfaces in a composite, and control over the microstructure. In other words, the development of composite materials for current techlogical needs must be application driven and process oriented. This is in contrast to the conventional composites engineering approach, which focuses on mechanics and purely structural applications.
- Author BiographyDeborah D.L. Chung is Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at the University of Buffalo, USA. She has a PhD in Materials Science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA.
- Author(s)Deborah D. L. Chung
- PublisherSpringer London Ltd
- Date of Publication29/03/2010
- SubjectMechanical Engineering
- Series TitleEngineering Materials and Processes
- Place of PublicationEngland
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSpringer London Ltd
- Content Note210 black & white illustrations, 26 black & white tables, biography
- Weight691 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
- Edition Statement2nd ed. 2010
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.