All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $26.07Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $21.95Trending at AU $26.77
- AU $29.30Trending at AU $31.81
- AU $70.85Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.67
- AU $23.78Trending at AU $26.94
About this product
- DescriptionThere has been a data rush in the past decade brought about by online communication and, in particular, social media (Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, among others), which promises a new age of digital enlightenment. But social data is compromised: it is being seized by specific ecomic interests, it leads to a fundamental shift in the relationship between research and the public good, and it fosters new forms of control and surveillance. Compromised Data: From Social Media to Big Data explores how we perform critical research within a compromised social data framework. The expert, international lineup of contributors explores the limits and challenges of social data research in order to invent and develop new modes of doing public research. At its core, this collection argues that we are witnessing a fundamental reshaping of the social through social data mining.
- Author BiographyGanaele Langlois is Assistant Professor at York University, Canada, and Associate Director of the Infoscape Centre for the Study of Social Media, Ryerson University, Canada. Her research focuses on new media theory, software studies and technoculture. Joanna Redden is Assistant Professor of Critical Media Studies at the University of Calgary, Canada. Her work investigates how digital technologies influence political, media, and protest practices specifically as related to poverty, inequality, and governance. Greg Elmer is Bell Globemedia Research Chair and Director of the Infoscape Centre for the Study of Social Media at Ryerson University, Canada. His research and teaching focus on new media and politics, theories and methods in social media studies, surveillance theory, and media globalization.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing Plc
- Date of Publication10/09/2015
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic USA
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight401 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byDr. Joanna Redden,Ganaele Langlois,Greg Elmer
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.