All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionComputer games are one of the most exciting and rapidly evolving media of our time. Revenues from console and computer games have w overtaken those from Hollywood movies; and online gaming is one of the fastest-growing areas of the internet. Games are longer just kids' stuff: the majority of players are w adults, and the market is constantly broadening. The visual style of games has become increasingly sophisticated, and the complexities of game-play are ever more challenging. Meanwhile, the icography and generic forms of games are increasingly influencing a whole range of other media, from films and television to books and toys. This book provides a systematic, comprehensive introduction to the analysis of computer and video games. It introduces key concepts and approaches drawn from literary, film and media theory in an accessible and concrete manner; and it tests their use and relevance by applying them to a small but representative selection of role-playing and action-adventure games. It combines methods of textual analysis and audience research, showing how the combination of such methods can give a more complete picture of these playable texts and the fan cultures they generate. Clearly written and engaging, it will be a key text for students in the field and for all those with an interest in taking games seriously.
- Author BiographyDavid Buckingham is Professor of Education and head of the Centre for the Study of Children, Youth and Media (CSCYM) at the University of London. Andrew Burn is Reader in Education and New Media and Associate Director of the CSCYM at the University of London. Diane Carr is Research Officer of the CSCYM at the University of London. Gareth Schott is Senior Lecturer of Screen and Media Studies at the University of Waikato.
- Author(s)David Buckingham,Diane Carr,Gareth Schott,Professor Andrew Burn
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication01/02/2006
- SubjectComputer Games: Programming
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight602 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.33Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.24Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $73.79Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $40.75Trending at AU $42.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.