All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlmost two decades have passed since the collapse of communism in Eastern Europe and the USSR. Robert Service, one of our finest historians of modern Russia, sets out to examine the history of communism throughout the world. His uncomfortable conclusion - and an important message for the twenty-first century -- is that although communism in its original form is w dead or dying, the poverty and injustice that enabled its rise are still dangerously alive. Unsettling, compellingly written and brilliantly argued, this is a superb work of history and one that demands to be read. 'Bears all the hallmarks of a classic work of historical literature ...the true international legacy of communism [is] analysed to magisterial effect in this exhilarating work' Hwyel Williams New Statesman 'One of the best-ever studies of the subject ...a remarkable accomplishment' Ecomist 'An outstanding book, written with grace and style' Daily Telegraph '[A] brilliantly distilled world history of communism ...Confronted by Service's amazing array of evidence to show that communism could only ever have flourished under conditions of extreme and all-pervasive oppression, only the determinedly softheaded would try to argue with him' Craig Brown, Mail on Sunday
- Author BiographyRobert Service is the author of the highly acclaimed Lenin: A Biography, A History of Twentieth-Century Russia, Russia: Experiment with a People and Stalin: A Biography, as well as many other books on Russia's past and present. He is a Fellow of the British Academy and of St Antony's College, Oxford. He is married with four children.
- PrizesWinner of Independent Publisher Book Awards: History Silver Award 2008.
- Author(s)Robert Service
- PublisherPan Macmillan
- Date of Publication02/05/2008
- SubjectPolitical Ideologies & Parties
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPan Books
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine40 mm
- Edition StatementUnabridged
- Reading Age16
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $32.93Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.93
- AU $30.83Trending at AU $32.07
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.73
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.