Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.34Trending at AU $32.26
- AU $75.03Trending at AU $77.30
- AU $60.03Trending at AU $61.06
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $31.74
- AU $12.57Trending at AU $13.10
- AU $46.01Trending at AU $53.33
- AU $41.46Trending at AU $50.01
About this product
- DescriptionInstead of the book he s meant to write, Rudolph, a Viennese musicologist, produces this dark and grotesquely funny account of small woes writ large, of profound horrors detailed and rehearsed to the point of distraction. We learn of Rudolph s sister, whose help he invites, then reviles as malevolent meddling; his really marvelous house, which he hates; the suspicious illness he carefully nurses; his ten-year-long attempt to write the perfect opening sentence; and, finally, his escape to the island of Majorca, which turns out to be the site of someone else s very real horror story. A brilliant and haunting tale of procrastination, failure, and despair, <i>Concrete</i> is a perfect example of why Thomas Bernhard is remembered as one of the masters of contemporary European fiction (George Steiner).
- Author Biography<b>Thomas Bernhard</b> was born in Holland in 1931 and grew up in Austria. He studied music at the Akademie Mozarteum in Salzburg. In 1957 he began a second career, as a playwright, poet, and novelist. The winner of the three most distinguished and coveted literary prizes awarded in Germany, he has become one of the most widely translated and admired writers of his generation. He published nine novels, an autobiography, one volume of poetry, four collections of short stories, and six volumes of plays. Thomas Bernhard died in Austria in 1989.
- Author(s)Professor Thomas Bernhard
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Inc
- Weight181 g
- Width134 mm
- Height205 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.