All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $74.58
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.70
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.13
- AU $72.46Trending at AU $76.03
- AU $12.60Trending at AU $17.01
- AU $16.67Trending at AU $22.38
About this product
- DescriptionA dark, poetic mystery about the tribal women of Kulumani and the lionesses that hunt themTold through two haunting interwoven diaries, Mia Couto's Confession of the Lioness reveals the enigmatic world of Kulumani, an isolated village in Mozambique whose traditions and beliefs are threatened when ghostlike lionesses begin hunting and killing the women who live there.The young Mariamar, whose sister was recently killed in an attack, has been imprisoned by her father in his home. Meanwhile, a marksman, the outsider Archangel Bullseye, has arrived to track the deadly lionesses, but as he pursues them in the wilderness, the hunt proves deadlier than imagined. As the predators continue to close in, and the village confronts the forces of modernity, it becomes clear that the lionesses may t be animals at all, but the spirits conjured by the village women's ancient witchcraft.Both a riveting mystery and a poignant examination of women's oppression, this darkly poetic vel combines reality, superstition, and magical realism to startling effect.
- Author BiographyMia Couto, born in Beira, Mozambique, in 1955, is one of the most prominent writers in Portuguese-speaking Africa. After studying medicine and biology in Maputo, he worked as a journalist and headed several Mozambican national newspapers and magazines. Couto has been awarded several important literary prizes, including the 2014 Neustadt International Prize for Literature, the Premio Camoes (the most prestigious Portuguese-language award), the Premio Vergilio Ferreira, the Premio Uniao Latina de Literaturas Romanicas, and others. He lives in Maputo, where he works as a biologist.
- Author(s)Mia Couto
- PublisherSt Martin's Press
- Date of Publication11/10/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPicador USA
- Weight204 g
- Width127 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.