All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.31Trending at AU $32.26
- AU $75.04Trending at AU $77.30
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.06
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $31.74
- AU $12.55Trending at AU $13.10
- AU $46.02Trending at AU $53.33
- AU $41.46Trending at AU $50.01
About this product
- DescriptionA MAN SUFFERING FROM HONESTY, DECIDES TO TURN CORRUPT.. AND GETS CRUSHED UNDER A SPEEDING TRUCK;;;; A MAN WHO LEAVES HIS COUNTRY TO MARRY OFF HIS FIVE DAUGHTERS... DIES WITHOUT CONFESSION... HIS SPIRIT COMES TO THE FATHER IN GERMANY TO CONFESS HIS GUILT.. A FATHER DREAMS OF HAVING AN EXECUTIVE SON; WHO IS LOST IN THE COILS OF THE BUSINESS WORLD; NEVER TO RETURN.. AT THE TIME OF HIS DEATH;;; LOST.. A YOUNG BOY REFUSES THE GIFT FROM AN ENGLISH WOMAN, SIMPLY BECAUSE ALL OTHERS WERE ACCEPTING THEIR GIFTS.. SHAMELESSLY.. WHAT AN IMAGE OF MY COUNTRY WILL SHE CARRY.... ? HE THINKS. A GIRL, WHO IS NOT ALLOWED TO MARRY HER LOVE, COMMITTS SUICIDE, BUT HER DOWRY SEEKER MOTHER IN LAW SETS HER DEAD BODY ON FIRE... . let us discover what happens after that AND MUCH MORE IN THIS DIASPORIC WORK OF FICTION... WHICH IS AT WAR WITH REALITY... According to Dr. Roghayeh Farsi, from Neyshabur University, Iran, research and biographer of Dr. J.S. ANAND, A collection of short stories, Confessions of a Corpse, draws on different human bonds. depicting their degeneration into absurdity and thingness imbued by colonial codes of civilization. Parent-child, wife-husband, private and public relations are all shown to have fallen under the spell of modern consumerism and materialism. Anand also targets the world of politics and presents how freedom-oriented idealism and nationalism are put on sale. Loneliness, mental, moral and spiritual disintegration are the legacies of modernity bequeathed by the colonial masters to the Indian nation. Anand's biting tone in its cold and objective treatment of the protagonists' plight challenges the status quo and the present value system. Mostly the speakers or the main characters in each story suffer from a kind of neurosis, which is t only psychological, but also moral and political. Different dimensions of man's life are scrutinized by the writer's critical gaze such as education, family, politics, media, even the world of the dead. His protagonists are social outcasts who have been victimized by the marketizing urge of the time. The critical tone of this collection reminds one of the short stories written by the South African Nobel Laureate, Nadine Gordimer, who likewise concerns herself with the colonial legacies having stricken the so-called modernized and civilized postcolonial nation-States.
- Author BiographyTHE AUTHOR AND HIS WORLD: Born on 15 January, 1955, in Longowal, a village in Distt. Sangrur, Punjab State, India, Dr. J.S. Anand began his journey as a creative writer in 1985, with his work of fiction, Confessions of a Corpse, published by Writers Workshop, Calcultta. Today, he has to his credit two dozen books of English poetry, prose, fiction and non-fiction, and his place in the world of spirituality has been secured by his works BLISS: The Ultimate Magic, [CreateSpace.com/Amazon.com.2013], being translated into Persian, and recently compared with Khalil Gibran's 'The Prophet', by an Iranian Scholar and Researcher Dr. Roghayeh Farsi. His latest addition to the corpus of creative writing is 'The Apocalyse' [CreateSpace.com/Amazon.com. 2013] which is a post-mortem of the world based on psudo-religious beliefs, and asserts that the Apocalyptic being is expected from the world of arts and humanities, shifting the focus from religion as a savior of mankind. Dr. Roghayeh Farsi, an Iranian scholar, research and expert of Literary Theory, has compared Dr. Anand's poetic work 'Beyond Life Beyond Death'  to T.S. Eliot's 'The Wasteland' in a recent article, published in Language in India. Commenting on Bliss and The Apocalypse, Dr. Maria Miraglia, Chairperson of World Foundation for Peace, [Italy], remarks that: 'Many years ago when playwright Tom Stoppard was asked what his first play was about, he replied it's about to make me very rich. Dr. Jernail Anand' s answer to the same question about his last work, The Apocalypse, would be a quite different one. He is a deep thinker, his life interests and researches being classified in the field of spirituality. As a man as well as a writer he has always taken a careful look at the men's worldly journey, scrutinizing their passions, obsessions and desires to feel a sense of anguish in the face of their behaviors, to his eyes, so far away from human compassion, brotherhood and love. What is the cause of all this? In his book Dr. Anand tries to help giving some answers to it and all done in a prose that Principal N.S. Tasneem describes as simply amazing, his work a highly enjoyable experience.'
- Author(s)Dr J S Anand
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication07/07/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight127 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.