Confessions of a Scary Mommy: An Honest and Irreverent Look at Motherhood: The Good, the Bad, and the Scary by Jill Smokler (Hardback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $18.63+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $13.43+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBased on the hugely popular website, ScaryMommy.com, <i>Confessions of a Scary Mommy</i> digs deep into the underbelly of parenting and tackles the issues many mothers are too afraid to expose. <b>Sometimes I just let my c</b><b>hildren fall asleep in front of the TV</b><b>.</b> In a culture that idealizes motherhood, it's scary to confess that, in your house, being a mother is beautiful and dirty and joyful and frustrating all at once. Admitting that it's t easy doesn't make you a bad mom; at least, it shouldn't. <b>If I can't survive my daughter as a toddler, how the hell am I going to get through the teenage years?</b> When Jill Smokler was first home with her small children, she thought her blog would be something to keep friends and family updated. To her surprise, she hit a chord in the hearts of mothers everywhere. <b>I end up doing my son's homework. It's wrong, but so much easier.</b> Total strangers were contributing their views on that strange reality called motherhood. As other women shared their stories, Jill realized she wasn't alone in her feelings of exhaustion and imperfection. <b>My eighteen month old still can't say Mommy but used the word shit in perfect context.</b> But she sensed her readers were still holding back, so decided to start an anymous confessional, a place where real moms could leave their most honest thoughts without fearing condemnation. <b>I pretend to be happy but I cry every night in the shower.</b> The reactions were amazing: some sad, some pee-in-your-pants funny, some brutally honest. But they were real, t a commercial glamorization. <b>I clock out of motherhood at 8 </b><b>P.M. </b><b>and hide in the basement with my laptop and a beer.</b> If you're already a fan, lock the bathroom door on your whining kids, run a bubble bath, and settle in. If you've t encountered Scary Mommy before, break out a glass of champagne as well, because you'll be toasting your initiation into a select club. <b>I kw why some animals eat their young.</b> In chapters that cover husbands (The Biggest Baby of Them All) to homework (Didn't I Already Graduate?), <i>Confessions of a Scary Mommy </i>combines all-new essays from Jill with the best of the anymous confessions. <b>Sometimes I wish my son was still little--then I hear kids screaming at the store.</b> As Jill says, We like to paint motherhood as picture perfect. A newborn peacefully resting on his mother's chest. A toddler taking tentative first steps into his mother's loving arms. A mother fluffing her daughter's prom dress. These moments are indeed miraculous and joyful; they can also be few and far between. Of course you adore your kids. Of course you would lay down your life for them. But be honest w: Have you ever wondered what possessed you to sign up for the job of motherhood? <b>STOP! DO NOT OPEN THIS BOOK UNTIL YOU RECITE THESE VOWS!</b><b>I shall remember </b>that mother is perfect and my children will thrive because, and sometimes even in spite, of me. <b>I shall t preach </b>to a fellow mother who has t asked my opinion. It's ne of my damn business. <b>I shall maintain </b>a sense of humor about all things motherhood.
- Author(s)Jill Smokler
- PublisherGallery Books
- Date of Publication03/04/2012
- SubjectPregnancy & Parenting
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGallery Books
- Weight218 g
- Width134 mm
- Height186 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.29
- AU $9.81Trending at AU $13.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.