Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $42.84+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.75
- AU $21.95Trending at AU $26.80
- AU $29.31Trending at AU $31.85
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.91
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.68
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $26.97
About this product
- Description<ul><li>How did the popularity of underwear in the twelfth century lead to the invention of the printing press? <li>How did the waterwheel evolve into the computer? <li>How did the arrival of the cann lead eventually to the development of movies? </ul> In this highly acclaimed and bestselling book, James Burke brilliantly examines the ideas, inventions, and coincidences that have culminated in the major techlogical advances of today. With dazzling insight, he untangles the pattern of interconnecting events: the accidents of time, circumstance, and place that gave rise to the major inventions of the world. Says Burke, My purpose is to acquaint the reader with some of the forces that have caused change in the past, looking in particular at eight invations -- the computer, the production line, telecommunications, the airplane, the atomic bomb, plastics, the guided rocket, and television -- which may be most influential in structuring our own futures....Each one of these is part of a family of similar devices, and is the result of a sequence of closely connected events extending from the ancient world until the present day. Each has ermous potential for humankind's benefit -- or destruction. Based on a popular TV documentary series, <i>Connections</i> is a fascinating scientific detective story of the inventions that changed history -- and the surprising links that connect them.
- Author(s)James Burke
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- Date of Publication03/07/2007
- SubjectInventions & Technology: General Interest
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSimon & Schuster
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1002 g
- Width188 mm
- Height252 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.