All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.88
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.81
About this product
- DescriptionAs a biologist with over thirty years of experience teaching a wide range of complex biomedical subjects and a person who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis (RA) himself, Dr Thomas F Lee is ideally suited to write a book that addresses the vital questions about the nature of the disease and the rationale behind its treatment. This is the only book that explains in layperson's terms the newest available therapies and the latest advances in our understanding of this often debilitating disease. These new insights have led to many molecular-based approaches already in clinical trial, and many more are waiting in the wings. All of these exciting developments are the result of the ongoing biotechlogical revolution and a new understanding of the immune system aided by genetic research. Millions of people suffer from rheumatoid arthritis (RA), a debilitating auto-immune disease that ravages the delicate lining of the joints. As in other auto-immune diseases, instead of defending against foreign invaders, the immune system inexplicably attacks healthy tissue. RA causes systemic effects as well; t only are joints painful, through the destruction of bone and cartilage, but there is often accompanying fatigue, decreased appetite, depression, and muscle pain.
- Author BiographyThomas F. Lee (Goffstown, NH) is professor of microbiology and biotechnology at St. Anselm College and the author of the critically acclaimed The Human Genome Project: Cracking the Genetic Code of Life and Gene Future: The Promise and Perils of the New Biology.
- Author(s)Thomas F. Lee
- PublisherPrometheus Books
- Date of Publication01/06/2001
- SubjectFamily & Health: General
- Place of PublicationAmherst
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrometheus Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight340 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.