Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $36.19Trending at AU $37.61
About this product
- DescriptionIn this vel approach to understanding consent, Jill D. Weinberg presents two case studies of activities in which participants engage in violent acts: competitive mixed martial arts (MMA) and sexual sadism and masochism (BDSM). Participants in both cases assent to injury and thereby engage in a form of social decriminalization, using the language of consent to render their actions legally and socially tolerable. Yet, these activities are treated differently under criminal battery law: sports, including MMA, are generally absolved from the charge of criminal battery, whereas BDSM often represents a violation of criminal battery law. Using interviews and ethgraphic observation, Weinberg argues that where law authorizes a person's consent to an activity, as in MMA, consent is t meaningfully constructed or regulated by the participants themselves. In contrast, where law prohibits a person's consent to an activity, as in BDSM, participants actively construct and regulate consent. A synthesis of criminal law and ethgraphy, Consensual Violence is a fascinating account of how consent is framed among participants engaged in violent acts and lays the groundwork for a sociological understanding of the process of decriminalization.
- Author BiographyJill D. Weinberg, PhD, JD, is Assistant Professor of Sociology at Tufts University and a scholar at the American Bar Foundation. Popular accounts of her work have appeared in the Advocate, the Huffington Post, Talking Points Memo, Truthout, and the Society Pages.
- Author(s)Jill D. Weinberg
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication05/07/2016
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note2 b/w illustrations
- Weight372 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.