Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionThis new account of constitutional reform in the UK offers a detailed discussion of all the significant changes that have developed following the elections of 1997 and 2001. Issues discussed include the recent devolution of power in Scotland and elections of Assemblies in Wales and Northern Ireland; reform of the House of Lords and the system of hereditary peers; the influence of the Human Rights Act, changes to electoral systems and party funding and the significance of the European dimension on the British Constitution. Dawn Oliver presents a broad overview of the latest developments in constitutional reform while analysing the implications of these reforms for the theories of democracy, citizenship and good governance within an UK context. Discussion is also given on the gradual move away from a political constitution to a more law-based system, the general ethics and standards within Parliament and consideration of possible future reforms in the areas of regional government, the House of Lords and the House of Commons. Written in a straightforward and accessible style, the text is well referenced to aid further research and offers an extensive bibliography and list of official publications. It is essential reading for all those studying constitutional law and reform as part of their law or politics degree programmes, while academics and civil servants in these areas will also find the discussions and analysis in the work of interest.
- Author BiographyDawn Oliver is Professor of Constitutional Law at the University College London. She has been a member of the Study of Parliament Group since 1994 and was a member of the Royal Commission Reform of the House of Lords in 1999. She is co-author of The Changing Constitution with Professor Jeffrey Jowell and editor of Public Law.
- Author(s)Dawn Oliver
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication03/04/2003
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight778 g
- Width171 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.