All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is an introduction to Construction Grammar as a cognitive-functional theory of language, applied to the structures of English. What do speakers of English kw in order to produce utterances that other speakers will understand? Construction Grammar explains how kwledge of language is organized in speakers' minds. The central and radical claim of Construction Grammar is that linguistic kwledge can be fully described as kwledge of constructions, which are defined as symbolic units that connect a linguistic form with meaning. The implications of this claim are far-reaching: in Construction Grammar, t only lexical items, but also syntactic patterns are seen as symbolic, meaningful units. Instead of being meaningless structural templates, syntactic patterns actively contribute to the overall meaning of an utterance. Kwledge of language is thought of as a vast repository of interrelated symbolic units, and thing else in addition. This book expands on this idea and familiarizes readers with the central concepts of Construction Grammar, as applied to English constructions. In the process, it explains how the theory of Construction Grammar relates to issues of language processing, language acquisition, and language variation and change. This is the first textbook to offer a full introduction to Construction Grammar, as applied to English. It includes exercises and questions to stimulate reflection. It provides a thorough grounding in the central concepts of Construction Grammar.
- Author BiographyMartin Hilpert works as Assistant Professor of English Linguistics at the Universite de Neuchatel.
- Author(s)Martin Hilpert
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication31/03/2014
- Series TitleEdinburgh Textbooks on the English Language - Advanced
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Weight340 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.26
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $30.97Trending at AU $33.19
- AU $34.13Trending at AU $37.90
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.