All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis second edition of Consumerism in World History draws on recent research of the consumer experience in the West and Japan, while also examining societies less rewned for consumerism, such as those in Africa. By relating consumerism to other issues in world history, this book forces reassessment of our understanding of both consumerism and global history. Each chapter has been updated and new features w include: * a chapter on Latin America * Russian and Chinese developments since the 1990s * the changes involved in trying to bolster consumerism as a response to recent international threats * examples of consumerist syncretism, as in efforts to blend beauty contests with traditional culture in Kerala. With updated suggested reading, the second edition of Consumerism in World History is essential reading for all students of world history.
- Author BiographyPeter N. Stearns is Provost and Professor of History at George Mason University. His books include The Other Side of Western Civilization (5th edition, 1999), Childhood in World History (Routledge, 2005) and Gender in World History (2nd edition, Routledge, 2006).
- Author(s)Peter N. Stearns
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication08/02/2006
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleThemes in World History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.26
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.