All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the rare collections I would recommend for use in undergraduate teaching -- the chapters are lucid without being oversimplified and the contributors are adept at analyzing the key industrial, techlogical and ideological features of contemporary U.S. cinema. Diane Negra, University of East Anglia, UK. Contemporary American Cinema offers a fresh and sometimes revisionist look at developments in the American film industry from the 1960s to the present ! Readers will find it lively and provocative. Chuck Maland, University of Tennessee, USA. Contemporary American Cinema is the book on the subject that undergraduate classes have been waiting for ! Comprehensive, detailed, and intelligently organized [and] written in accessible and compelling prose ! Contemporary American Cinema will be embraced by instructors and students alike. Charlie Keil, Director, Cinema Studies Program, University of Toronto, Canada. Contemporary American Cinema usefully gathers together a range of materials that provide a valuable resource for students and scholars. It is also a pleasure to read. Hilary Radner, University of Otago, New Zealand. Contemporary American Cinema deepens our kwledge of American cinema since the 1960s. ! This is an important collection that will be widely used in university classrooms. Lee Grieveson, University College London, UK. Contemporary American Cinema is a clear-sighted and tremendously readable anthology, mapping the terrain of post-sixties US cinema with breadth and critical verve. Paul Grainge, University of Nottingham, UK. This collection of freshly written essays by leading specialists in the field will most likely be one of the most important works of reference for students and film scholars for years to come. Liv Hausken, University of Oslo, Norway. Contemporary American Cinema is the first comprehensive introduction to American cinema since 1960. The book is unique in its treatment of both Hollywood, alternative and n-mainstream cinema. Critical essays from leading film scholars are supplemented by boxed profiles of key directors, producers and actors; key films and key genres; and statistics from the cinema industry. Illustrated in colour and black and white with film stills, posters and production images, the book has two tables of contents allowing students to use the book chrologically, decade-by-decade, or thematically by subject. Designed especially for courses in cinema studies and film studies, cultural studies and American studies, Contemporary American Cinema features a glossary of key terms, fully referenced resources and suggestions for further reading, questions for class discussion, and a comprehensive filmography. Individual chapters include: The decline of the studio system The rise of American new wave cinema The history of the blockbuster The parallel histories of independent and underground film Black cinema from blaxploitation to the 1990s Changing audiences The effects of new techlogy Comprehensive overview of US documentary from 1960 to the present Contributors include: Stephen Prince, Steve Neale, Susan Jeffords, Yvonne Tasker, Barbara Klinger, Jim Hillier, Peter Kramer, Mark Shiel, Sheldon Hall, Eithne Quinn, Michele Aaron, Jonathan Munby.
- Author BiographyLinda Ruth Williams and Michael Hammond are senior lecturers in film at the University of Southampton, United Kingdom.
- Author(s)Linda Ruth Williams,Michael Hammond
- PublisherOpen University Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2006
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationMilton Keynes
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOpen University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.)
- Weight2 g
- Width75 mm
- Height96 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.