All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $37.91
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.33Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $25.08Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.84Trending at AU $28.46
About this product
- DescriptionVeena Kukreja provides a rare reasoned analysis of the political processes at work in contemporary Pakistan and an objective understanding of the problems and crises confronting the country. The author points out that for 25 out of the 53 years of its existence, the military has been the arbiter of Pakistan's destiny. The military, she maintains, regards its dominance of Pakistani politics t only as a right but as a duty. As a result, state security has taken precedence over the need to create participatory political processes and institutions. The book points out that the terrorist attacks of 11 September 2001 and the resulting US offensive in Afghanistan, has put the military regime in Islamabad in a tight spot. Caught between unyielding ulemas, a faltering ecomy, and American pressure to demolish militant networks in Pakistan, these recent developments--combined with the dangerous cleavage within Pakistani society-could well push that country into ather bout of instability and even anarchy. The situation is made more complex by the nexus between terrorism and drugs.
- Author BiographyVeena Kukreja is Associate Professor at the Department of Political Science, University of Delhi. Recipient of Gold Medal for securing first position in B.A. (Hons.), Delhi University, Kukreja received her M.A., M.Phil. (both first class) and Ph.D. from Delhi University. She specializes in International Relations, South Asia and Pakistan Studies. Her published works include: Military Intervention in Politics: A Case Study of Pakistan (New Delhi: NBO Publishers, 1985), Civil-Military Relations in South Asia: Pakistan, Bangladesh and India (New Delhi: Sage Publications, 1991), Contemporary Pakistan: Political Processes, Conflicts and Crises (New Delhi: Sage Publications, 2003) and co-edited Pakistan: Democracy, Development and Security Issues (New Delhi: Sage Publications, 2005). She has published numerous research papers and articles in scholarly journals.
- Author(s)Veena Kukreja
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication10/12/2002
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Weight522 g
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.