Content Area Reading and Literacy: Succeeding in Today's Diverse Classrooms by Victoria Ridgeway Gillis, Donna E. Alvermann, Stephen F. Phelps (Hardback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $273.90+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $175.43+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionIn this authoritative, highly-respected best seller, pre- and in-service teachers get a wealth of strategies and ideas for teaching content area literacy in an era of high accountability. In-depth attention to the needs of students from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds is integrated throughout and the guide features a presentation of a wide scope of topics and examples, research-based information, and an accessible writing style. The ideas the trusted authors present are backed by research, tested in real classrooms, and designed to help teachers apply what is useful to their own particular disciplines, making Content Area Reading and Literacy the ideal guide to using reading, writing, and literature effectively to teach in the content areas.
- Author BiographyDonna E. Alvermann is University of Georgia-appointed Distinguished Research Professor of Language and Literacy Education. Formerly a classroom teacher in Texas and New York, her research focuses on literacy instruction across the disciplines. Her co-authored/edited books include Reconceptualizing the Literacies in Adolescents' Lives (3rd ed.); Bridging the Literacy Achievement Gap, Grades 4-12; andAdolescents and Literacies in a Digital World. Past President of the National Reading Conference (NRC), she serves on the Adolescent Literacy Advisory Group of the Alliance for Excellent Education. She was elected to the Reading Hall of Fame in 1999, and is the recipient of NRC's Oscar Causey Award for Outstanding Contributions to Reading Research, College Reading Association's Laureate Award, and the American Reading Forum's and NRC's two service awards. In 2006, she was awarded the International Reading Association's William S. Gray Citation of Merit. Victoria Ridgeway Gillis graduated from North Georgia College with a BS in Biology and from Emory University with an MAT in Secondary Science Education. She taught science courses including life science, chemistry, physics, and physical science in Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina. In the early 1970s, she encountered the ideas and concepts in content area reading and tried them in her classroom. Her success in using those strategies led her to return to graduate school after 20 years in the classroom to complete her Ph.D. at the University of Georgia in 1994. Victoria taught graduate and undergraduate disciplinary literacy courses at Clemson University for 20 years. She is currently Professor and Wyoming Excellence Chair in Literacy Education in the College of Education at the University of Wyoming. Stephen Phelps is professor emeritus of Elementary Education and Reading at Buffalo State College. In his 30 years at Buffalo State, he taught a wide range of literacy methods courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels and was coordinator of the graduate literacy specialist program. His research interests include the preparation of teachers to work in urban schools and sociocultural influences on literacy acquisition and achievement.
- Author(s)Donna E. Alvermann,Stephen F. Phelps,Victoria Ridgeway Gillis
- PublisherPearson Education (US)
- Date of Publication24/01/2012
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationOld Tappan
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAllyn & Bacon
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour line drawings, figures
- Weight940 g
- Width192 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edition Statement7th Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.