All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.75
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.80
- AU $29.32Trending at AU $31.85
- AU $71.12Trending at AU $79.91
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.68
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $26.97
About this product
- Description'No matter how artful the photographer, matter how carefully posed his subject, the beholder feels an irresistible urge to search such a picture for the tiny spark of contingency, of the Here and Now, with which reality has seared the subject; to find the inconspicuous spot where in the immediacy of that long-forgotten moment the future nests so eloquently that we, looking back, may rediscover it.' (Walter Benjamin) Storytelling and intimacy conspire in the magic of the street theatre that is the contingent encounter. Here one's participation is already loaded; any engagement involves risks of thought or of feeling. One might be touched by the event unfolding, wonder what gives one the right to be there, and then how to shape the response. In Madagascar , Pam and Muecke work with an aesthetic of the glimpse; fleeting encounters with wisdom and beauty.
- Author BiographyMax Pam's work takes the viewer on compelling journeys around the globe, recording observations with an often surrealist intensity, matching the heightened sensory awareness of foreign travel. Stephen Muecke is Fellow of the Australian Academy of the Humanities. He is an award-winning author.
- Author(s)Max Pam,Stephen Muecke
- PublisherIntellect Books
- Date of Publication15/03/2012
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintIntellect Books
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight617 g
- Width228 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.