All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionQuite simply the most serious early intermediate textbook currently available for thoughtful American students at the university level. --Professor Stephen O'Harrow, Director, Center for Southeast Asian Studies, University of Hawai'i at Maa This is a second-year, intermediate Vietnamese language course designed for high school, college or self-study. Continuing Vietnamese is your next step toward master; it follows the best-selling, linguistically-based Elementary Vietnamese, and helps you progress to an intermediate level of communicating in Vietnamese. Invaluable for anyone planning to travel, study or work in Vietnam, this complete language course has been extensively tested at Harvard University. The accompanying MP3 audio CD helps to develop listening comprehension and ensure correct pronunciation. The book contains ten lessons, each composed of two parts. Part 1, the dialogue part, introduces the learner to conversational Vietnamese as it's currently spoken in Hai so that the learner will be able to participate in engaging conversation on a variety of topics. Part 2, the narrative part, includes written materials that are characteristic of forma Vietnamese. It aims to develop the learner's reading and writing skills as well as speaking skills. The lessons focuses on various aspects of life in present-day Vietnam, including topics such as culture, history, geography, ecomy, theater, music, tourism, literature, poetry, cinema and sports. Each lesson helps you to learn Vietnamese by building your Vietnamese proficiency using several complementary elements to thoroughly develop your skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking. Key features of Continuing Vietnamese include: MP3 Audio files offering native speakers' renditions of all the dialogues and narratives, vocabulary, grammar and usage explanations, everyday Vietnamese expressions, pronunciation drills and exercises, and even some popular Vietnamese proverbs.Exercises and practice activities which hone your skills throughout the learning process.Cultural tes that help bring Vietnam to life.A contemporary focus on today's Vietnamese speech patterns.A format that sharpens all four language skills: listening, speaking, writing and reading.
- Author BiographyDr. Binh Nhu Ngo is the Director of the Vietnamese Language Program in the Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations at Harvard University and has been teaching Vietnamese there since 1992. He was born and educated in Hanoi, and earned his Ph.D. in linguistics from the Russian Academy of Sciences in Moscow. He has taught Vietnamese and linguistics at Moscow University, and since 1992 he has taught at the Southeast Asian Studies Summer Institute (SEASSI) and at a number of universities and colleges in the United States. He has served as the Vice-President of the Council of Teachers of Southeast Asian Languages (COTSEAL) and represents Harvard University at the Group of Universities for the Advancement of Vietnamese Abroad (GUAVA). His other books include Speak & Read Vietnamese (Simon & Schuster) and Elementary Vietnamese (Tuttle).
- Author(s)Dr. Binh Nhu Ngo
- PublisherTuttle Publishing
- Date of Publication03/11/2015
- FormatMixed media product
- SubjectLanguage Learning (other than ELT)
- Place of PublicationBoston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTuttle Publishing
- Content Note130 photos
- Weight862 g
- Width191 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Contained items statementContains Paperback and CD-Audio
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.19
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.32Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.