All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionDo you kw the difference between acetic and ascetic? Burgers and burghers? Bucolic and alcoholic? Complacent, complaisant and compliant? A cassock, a Cossack, a hassock, a tussock, a hillock, a hummock and a pillock? If t, Fritz Spiegl's Contradictionary is the book for you. With entries varying from pithy brevity to mini essays, this quirky but well-informed textbook will be essential reading for anyone who has ever been caught using the wrong word in the wrong place (or been caught out being too clever by half). Readers, writers and students of media studies will find answers to frequently asked questions - and a number of questions it had never occurred to them to ask. Fritz Spiegl was a German who came to England as a child. In the intervening 60 years, he never lost his fascination with the eccentricities of the English language and the abuses to which it is often subject.
- Author BiographyFritz Spiegl's many books include <em>Keep Taking the Tabloids</em>, a diatribe against the abuse of English commonly found in our popular press, two gravestone-shaped books <em>A Small Book of Grave Humor</em> and <em>Dead Funny</em>, <em>InWords </em>and <em>OutWords</em>, <em>The Joy of Words</em>, <em>Mediawrite/Mediaspeak</em> (the language of the press and broadcasting), and <em>Music through the Looking-Glass </em>(musical terms and professional jargon). He also produced <em>Scouse International</em> (the Liverpool dialect in five languages, including Japanese) to accompany four earlier volumes of <em>Lern Yerself Scouse</em>.
- Author(s)Fritz Spiegl
- PublisherKyle Books
- Date of Publication02/09/2010
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Series TitleDictionary
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintKyle Cathie
- Content Note20 b&w cartoons
- Weight276 g
- Width134 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.