Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
About this product
- DescriptionIn Controlling Kwledge, Lorna Stefanick offers a provocative inquiry into the regulatory regime that governs freedom of information and the protection of privacy (FOIP). The application of FOIP laws requires a balancing act between two potentially competing goals - the desire to provide citizens with access to the information they need in order to hold others accountable and the desire to safeguard an individual's right to privacy and protect sensitive information from abuse. To illustrate the impact of FOIP, Stefanick examines the secondary uses of medical data, looks at the forms of surveillance that the digital age has enabled, and explores the power and perils of Facebook and the Internet. Intended to serve as a citizen's guide, and written in refreshingly down-to-earth language, Controlling Kwledge is a vital resource for anyone seeking to understand the concepts and issues that drive FOIP legislation and how these laws are shaping our individual rights as citizens of the information age.
- Author BiographyLorna Stefanick is an associate professor at Athabasca University, where she teaches in the Governance, Law, and Management program. Prior to joining AU, she was the associate director of the Government Studies unit at the University of Alberta. Having taught in a virtual environment for over a decade, Stefanick has first-hand exposure to some of the radical ways in which new communication technologies have transformed our working lives and social relationships.
- Author(s)Lorna Stefanick
- PublisherAU Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2011
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationEDMONTON
- Country of PublicationCanada
- First Published2011
- ImprintAU Press
- Weight340 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.