All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is an exploration of the life and art of Maryse Conde, who first won international acclaim for Segu, a vel about West African experience and the slave trade. Born in Guadeloupe in 1937, Conde lived in Guinea after it won its independence from France. Later she lived in Ghana and Senegal during turbulent, decisive moments in the histories of these countries. Her writings-vels, plays, essays, stories, and children's books-have led her to an increasingly important role within Africa and throughout the world. Francoise Pfaff met Maryse Conde in 1981, when she first interviewed her. Their friendship grew quickly. In 1991 the two women continued recording conversations about Conde's geographical sojourns and literary paths, her personality, and her thoughts. Their conversations reveal connections between Conde's vivid art and her eventful, passionate life. In her encounters with historical and literary figures, and in her opinions on politics and culture, Conde appears as an engaging witness to her time. The conversations frequently sparkle with humor; at other moments they are infused with profound seriousness. Maryse Conde is the recipient of the French literary awards Le Grand Prix Litteraire de la Femme and Le Prix de l'Academie Francaise. She currently teaches at Columbia University and her most recent works include Tree of Life and Crossing the Mangrove.
- Author BiographyBorn and educated in Paris, Francoise Pfaff is a professor of French at Howard University. The translator of this book, she is also the author of Twenty-five Black African Filmmakers: A Critical Study, with Filmography and Bio-Bibliography and The Cinema of Ousmane Sembene, A Pioneer of African Cinema. Entretiens avec Maryse Conde was first published in France in 1993.
- Author(s)Francoise Pfaff
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/06/1996
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content NoteIllus
- Weight328 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.