CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThe authors state at the beginning of this provocative new book that one of the most distinctive features of the American persona is a preoccupation and underlying concern in the United States with what is or is t 'American.' How far can an ethnic group in the United States go to maintain its identity before it trespasses into what is perceived as un-American terrain? This is the underlying theme of Lambert and Taylor's community based investigation which studies the attitudes of Americans toward ethnic diversity and intergroup relations. Directed toward social psychologists, sociologists, anthropologists, and ethnic scholars, this study deals with the peculiar U.S. dichotomy of cultural diversity and assimilation. The research is conducted in a metropolitan area among working class adults; some are established mainstream citizens, others are newcomers, but all experience ethnic and racial diversity as a daily fact of life. The authors examine the perspectives of mainstream White Americans and Black Americans. They interview ethnic immigrant groups--Polish, Arab, Albanian, Mexican, and Puerto Rican Americans--in two urban settings and offer insight to the reality as well as the exciting possibilities of multiculturalism. Students and scholars of all the social sciences will find Coping with Cultural and Racial Diversity in Urban America as a source of stimulating ideas.
- Author BiographyWALLACE E. LAMBERT is a Professor of Social Psychology at McGill University. DONALD M. TAYLOR is a Professor of Social Psychology at McGill University. They have published extensively on the attitudes and values of ethnic and racial minorities.
- Author(s)Donald M. Taylor,Wallace E. Lambert
- Date of Publication08/02/1990
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight478 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.