All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.55
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
About this product
- DescriptionThe era following the American War of Independence was one of ermous conflict for the Allegany Senecas. As the most influential Seneca leader of his time, Cornplanter led his people in war and along an often troubled path to peace. This incisive biography traces his rise to prominence as a Seneca military leader during the American Revolution and his later diplomatic success in negotiations with the Federal government. The book also explores Cornplanter's dealings with other Native American councils and with his own people. It explains how Senecas faced heavy pressure to sell their lands, and how they concurrently embraced a reformed and revitalized Iroquois religion, as inspired by Cornplanter's visionary half-brother, Handsome Lake. Thomas S. Abler skillfully weaves together previously discordant strands of the Chief Warrior's life into a concise, animated, and enlightening portrait. Even as Cornplanter examines a critical period in American history, it gives us a multidimensional kwledge of politics and diplomacy from the Seneca point of view.
- Author BiographyThomas S. Abler is professor of anthropology at the University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. He is author of Hinterland Warriors and Military Dress: European Empires and Exotic Uniforms and editor of Chainbreaker. The Revolutionary War Memoirs of Governor Blacksnake.
- Author(s)Thomas S. Abler
- PublisherSyracuse University Press
- Date of Publication15/06/2007
- LanguageEnglish & English
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Series TitleIroquois & Their Neighbors S.
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSyracuse University Press
- Content Note4 black-&-white images, 7 genealogical charts, notes
- Weight490 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.