Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $31.45
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.86Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
About this product
- DescriptionSamuel Richardson (1689-1761), among the most important and influential English velists, was also a prolific letter writer. Beyond its extraordinary range, his correspondence holds special interest as that of a practising epistolary velist, who thought long and hard about the letter as a form. The Cambridge Edition of the Correspondence of Samuel Richardson is the first complete edition of his letters. The present volume contains his correspondences with Dr George Cheyne and Thomas Edwards, linked t only by their prounced medical content but also by their generally unguarded character. An early admirer of Richardson's Pamela (1740-41), Cheyne elicits some of the velist's most significant statements concerning his own literary practice and tastes. Edwards, an astute literary critic as well as table sonneteer, draws Richardson into expressing some remarkable insights as a close reader of poetry and prose.
- Author BiographyDavid E. Shuttleton is Reader in Literature and Medical Culture at the School of Critical Studies, University of Glasgow, where he established the Medical Humanities Research Centre. He is the recent author of Smallpox and the Literary Imagination, 1660-1820 (Cambridge University Press, 2007) and has written numerous essays specialising in literature and medicine in the long eighteenth century. John A. Dussinger is Emeritus Professor of English at the University of Illinois where he taught for 36 years. He is author of The Discourse of the Mind in Eighteenth-Century Fiction (1974) and In the Pride of the Moment: Encounters in Jane Austen's World (1990), and has written numerous articles and reviews on iconic writers such as Swift, Shaftesbury, Locke, Hume, Middleton, Richardson, Sterne, Goldsmith, Johnson and Austen.
- Author(s)Samuel Richardson
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication19/12/2013
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Series TitleThe Cambridge Edition of the Correspondence of Samuel Richardson
- Series Part/Volume Number2
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note2 b/w illus.
- Weight1030 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byDavid Shuttleton,James E. May,John A. Dussinger
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.