All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
About this product
- DescriptionI have worked in psychiatry as well as in private practice with suicidal people. I found it poignant and true when Reeves points out that people do t have to be mad to be suicidal and '...that assessing suicide potential fundamentally lies in engaging with the suicidal client at a deeper relational level'. So true. This thoroughly researched book is written with passion and compassion. It will be a valuable addition to the libraries of therapists and anyone else who works with suicidal people. - Therapy Today, July 2010 A uniquely accessible, comprehensive and practical guide. Essential reading for counsellors and psychotherapists and all helping professionals who work with clients at risk of suicide. - Mick Cooper, Professor of Counselling, University of Strathclyde A 'must read' for counsellors of all experience levels, offering sound practical strategies alongside thought-provoking case studies and discussion points. Reeves addresses this difficult topic with depth, breadth and integrity. Excellent. - Denise Meyer, developer and lead author of www.studentdepression.org Andrew Reeves brings together his experience as a social worker, counsellor and academic to explore the essential elements in working with suicidal clients. His openness and integrity in writing about this complex topic creates a valuable resource for reflective practice. - Barbara Mitchels, Solicitor and Director of Watershed Counselling Service, Devon. Counselling Suicidal Clients addresses the important professional considerations when working with clients who are suicidal. The 'bigger picture', including legal and ethical considerations and organisational policy and procedures is explored, as is to how practitioners can work with the dynamics of suicide potential in the therapeutic process. The book is divided into six main parts: - The changing context of suicide - The prediction-prevention model, policy and ethics - The influence of the organisation - The client process - The practitioner process - The practice of counselling with suicidal clients. The book also includes chapters on the discourse of suicide, suicide and self-injury, and self-care for the counsellor. It is written for counsellors and psychotherapists, and for any professional who uses counselling skills when supporting suicidal people.
- Author BiographyAndrew Reeves is a BACP Senior Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist and Chair of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). Originally qualified as a social worker, Andrew then trained in counselling and psychotherapy and specialised in child protection and adult mental health before moving to working full-time as a counsellor at the University of Liverpool. He has researched therapy with suicidal clients and people who self-injure and self-harm for over 15 years and has written extensively about this, including his 2010 book with SAGE, Counselling Suicidal Clients. His award-winning training DVD, Tight Ropes and Safety Nets: Counselling Suicidal Clients (with Jon Shears and Sue Wheeler) is now being used by many therapy training programmes throughout the UK. Andrew's other books with SAGE include An Introduction to Counselling and Psychotherapy: From Theory to Practice (2012); The Handbook of Individual Therapy, 6th edition, co-edited with Windy Dryden; and Key Issues for Counselling in Action, 2nd edition, also co-edited with Windy Dryden. In 2015, SAGE launched a new series with Andrew as the editor, Essential Issues for Counselling and Psychotherapy.
- Author(s)Andrew Reeves
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication16/02/2010
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleTherapy in Practice
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSAGE Publications Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white line drawings, black & white tables, figures, charts
- Weight363 g
- Width170 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.