All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.36Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionCounter storytelling Narratives of Lati Teenage Boys presents an ethgraphic portrait of the experiences and counter stories of nine Lati teenage boys representing different cultural and socioecomic backgrounds attending a high school in North Carolina. Using critical race theory (CRT), Lati critical theory (LatCrit), and Chica/a epistemologies as a theoretical framework, the book unveils how differing layers of oppression shape the lives of these boys of color through the intersections of race, gender, and class. Contrary to majoritarian assumptions, cultural deficit models, and their teachers' low expectations, this research reveals how participants used their cultural capital as a foundation to develop resiliency. The findings in this book suggest that teachers, school administrators, and staff could benefit from a better understanding of Lati/a students' community cultural wealth as a fundamental element for these students' academic success. Counter storytelling Narratives of Lati Teenage Boys will be an excellent resource for teachers, school administrators, college students, and pre-service teachers. It will be useful in courses in Lati/a studies in the United States, multicultural studies, race and education studies, social justice in education, race and gender studies, and social foundations in education.
- Author BiographyJuan A. Rios Vega (PhD, University of North Carolina at Greensboro) is a 2014 Daniel Solorzano Mentoring Program Award recipient from the Critical Race Studies in Education Association. He was also a 2014 Graduate Research Award winner at UNCG.
- Author(s)Juan A. Rios Vega
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication17/07/2015
- Languageeng, spa
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleCritical Studies of Latinos/As in the Americas
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight230 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.