All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.74Trending at AU $16.20
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $37.95
- AU $14.06Trending at AU $20.88
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
About this product
- DescriptionOver its eighty-year history, country music has evolved from little-kwn local talents to multimillion-dollar superstar musicians. In the 1920s, the first country music was broadcast from WSB radio in Atlanta and WBAP in Fort Worth, and the first records were recorded for Victor. In the 1930s, the first singing cowboys, among them Gene Autry and Roy Rogers, became film stars. After the war years, recordings boomed, and the Country Music Association was founded in 1958. Country music programs began on television with Porter Waggoner's program in 1960, followed by The Johnny Cash Show and Hee Haw. The Nashville Network channel was established in 1993, and from then on, the popular stars of country music have continued to break records, selling millions of copies of their albums. This book examines country music as it developed in regions throughout the United States, ting characteristics of its various subgenres such as bluegrass, honkytonk, and neotraditional music. It provides an indepth look at the people and events that have shaped the industry, and identifies the landmark recordings that old and new fans alike will want to add to their collections. Provides a detailed history of the following subgenres: hillbilly music, cowboy music, western swing, country rock, bluegrass, Nashville sound, and neotraditional, among others. Includes a chrology of country music and an extensive chapter of biographical sketches of all the major songwriters, musicians, and people in the industry.
- Author BiographyIVAN TRIBE is Professor of History in the Social Science Department at University of Rio Grande.
- Author(s)Ivan M. Tribe
- Date of Publication30/03/2006
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleGreenwood Guides to American Roots Music
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight752 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.