All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe rescue of the Danish Jews from Nazi persecution in October 1943 is a unique exception to the tragic history of the Holocaust. Within a few weeks some 7,000 people managed to escape, leaving the German occupation forces in Denmark almost empty handed. What made this possible? Who rescued the Jews and who enabled their rescue? What was the interplay between the Nazi leadership in Berlin, their agents in Copenhagen, the Danish authorities and indeed the Jews and their Danish compatriots? For decades these questions have been answered only by simplistic myths. Now, for the first time, Bo Lidegaard brings together decades of research and new evidence to tell the story as seen both through the eyes of individual refugees and through the prism of politics at all levels, from the Fuhrer himself down to the Danish police. Based on contemporary documentation, the narrative draws upon primary sources t previously kwn to the public, as well as on a host of historical research into various aspects of the rescue. Ultimately, this story is a tribute to the inspiring capacity of an entire people to stand up and do the right thing in a time of crisis.
- Author BiographyBo Lidegaard is a Danish historian, author and editor-in-chief of the daily broadsheet newspaper Politiken. He has been awarded some of the highest of Denmark's national honours for his writings.
- Author(s)Bo Lidegaard
- PublisherAtlantic Books
- Date of Publication06/03/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAtlantic Books
- Content Note43 b&w illustrations, 3 maps
- Weight796 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Translated byRobert Maass
- Edition StatementMain
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.79Trending at AU $65.19
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $110.99Trending at AU $112.12
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.