All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCourt on Canvas: Tennis in Art celebrates the origins of the game in Birmingham and explores the ways in which tennis has inspired artists from the mid-nineteenth century onwards. The book guides us from the origins of the game as a genteel pastime for the upper classes, through its codification as a sport, to the international high-earning power game of today. It illustrates the changes in fashion associated with the sport and the important role tennis played in the emancipation of women in the early part of the twentieth century. The book contains a survey of images of tennis in art from the 1870s onwards, and detailed examinations of the works are placed in a wider social, historical and art historical context.
- Author BiographyAnn Sumner is Director of the Barber Institute of Fine Arts and Professor of Fine Art and Curatorial Practice at the University of Birmingham, a post she took up in 2007 after seven years as Head of Fine Art at the National Museum of Wales. Until his retirement in 2005, Kenneth McConkey was Dean of Arts at the University of Northumbria. He is a specialist in British, Irish and French painting at the turn of the twentieth century and an expert on the life and works of Sir John Lavery. Robert Holland is a lawn tennis historian and Trustee of the Edgbaston Archery and Lawn Tennis Society in Birmingham. He has been an enthusiastic tennis player since his youth and in the 1960s was a junior member of the Edgbaston Lawn Tennis Club and the Edgbaston Priory Club. Susan Elks is a collector of tennis memorabilia and author of From Whalebone to Lycra: A Fashion Journey through Midlands Lawn Tennis History (2004), which traces the development of lawn tennis from its Victorian roots in Birmingham to the present day.
- PublisherPhilip Wilson Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication30/06/2011
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPhilip Wilson Publishers Ltd
- Content Note180 colour illustrations
- Weight885 g
- Width254 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byAnn Sumner
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.79Trending at AU $65.19
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $110.99Trending at AU $112.12
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.