All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Cowichan Region is the large area that lies between the cities of Victoria and Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, reaching from the protected eastern shores of the island nearly all the way west to the Pacific Ocean. Its cornucopia-like shape is fitting for a place of such remarkable bounty, and this area is home to a growing number of newcomers seeking its pleasant climate, recreational activities and culinary delights. Sometimes referred to as Canadass Provence, the name Cowichan is derived from a Coast Salish word meaning warm land or basking in the sun . Celebrating this land of plenty, this book dishes up a full sampling of delights from one of BC's most fascinating and varied regions. Mountaius wilderness, large lakes and rivers, broad fertile valleys, ermous estuaries and numerous coastal harbours and islets are home to more than a dozen communities, ranging from seaside and lakeside villages to shop-and cafe-filled towns. Once famous for its fishing and forest resources, the Cowichan region is better kwn today for its dairy farms and market gardens, vineyards and wineries, alpaca ranches and a rapidly expanding eat local and organic culinary food scene. Author Georgina Montgomery's compelling narrative is beautifully illustrated with photographer Kevin Oke's vibrant images, capturing the beauty of the region.
- Author BiographyGeorgina Montgomery has worked as a freelance editor and writer since 1983, co-authoring two guidebooks and writing numerous magazine articles. She has spent more than half her life in various locations on BC's West Coast. In 2007 she and her husband moved to the Cowichan, attracted by good moorage, an unusual old house, and the bounty of locally produced food and wine.
- Author(s)Georgina Montgomery
- PublisherHarbour Publishing
- Date of Publication28/04/2010
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintHarbour Publishing
- Content Note150+ colour photos
- Weight782 g
- Width290 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.