All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAcross Magdalen Bridge and away from the architectural delights of the University City, there exist other areas of Oxford, less picturesque perhaps but each with a fascinating history of its own. St. Clement's developed as a mediaeval suburb which grew suddenly in the early 1800s and became part of Oxford City in 1836. East Oxford, w an extraordinarily cosmopolitan area of the city, was mostly built across open countryside in Victorian times. Cowley, still a quite separate village at the end of the First World War, became a large industrial and residential suburb of Oxford within a decade thanks to William Morris and his burgeoning motor industry. Blackbird Leys was farmland until the 1950s when it became the site for a large housing estate. The development of these contrasting areas is explored through this fine collection of over 230 photographs which compares views dating from the 1820s to the 1970s with their present-day equivalents. Well-kwn Oxford local historian Malcolm Graham has selected the historic images and his informative captions give a real context to the old and new views. The modern photographs, some revealing massive change, others a surprising degree of continuity, are the work of Laurence Waters, a professional photographer and keen railway historian. Their combined efforts have created a book which will appeal to everyone with an interest in Oxford Town rather than Gown.
- Author(s)L. Waters,Lawrence Walker,M. Graham
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication05/02/2001
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSutton Publishing Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Width244 mm
- Height172 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.