Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
About this product
- DescriptionBill Merritt grew up in Atlanta, Georgia during the turbulent years between the end of World War II and the vietnam War. A joyously unreconstructed Southerner, he looks on with amazement as Atlanta changes from a sleepy Southern town into the City Too Busy to Hate. This was the time of Martin Luther King and Ivan Allen, but also the time of Lester Maddox, the Temple Bombing, great moral certainties, Elvis, Klan rallies, the Cuban Missile Crisis, a corrupt political system keeping some of America's finest statesmen in office (some since the Teddy roosevelt administration), and a man named Armstrong walking on the moon. Merritt's family is eccentric and colorful, occasionally courageous, often self-centered. This is the story of how the government took the land they'd lived on for nine generations to use as a place to brew poison gas during World War II, then changed it to redstone Arsenal to build rockets to the moon. It is the story of how the family was caught up in the Orly Air Crash, the vietnam War, and the emotional fallout from a Cuban whose family had been murdered by Che Guevara. It is the story of the way the Civil rights revolution looked to Southerners: to decent people trying to hor their heritage while realizing the time had come to let go of parts of that heritage, and how difficult that letting go was made by the outsiders who most wanted change. This is the story the way Southerners remember it-and tell each other.
- Author BiographyBill Merritt grew up in Atlanta during the post-war era, from 1945-1970. He holds an AB in English from Duke University, a BArch from the University of Oregon, and a JD from St. Louis University. Merritt is the author of A Fool's Gold and Where the Rivers Ran Backward. He now resides in Portland, Oregon, USA.
- Author(s)Bill Merritt
- PublisherMercer University Press
- Date of Publication30/06/2016
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMercer University Press
- Weight386 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.