All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.15
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.45
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.32
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.26
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.26
About this product
- DescriptionRabbinic tradition has it that 613 commandments were given to Moses on Mount Sinai, but it does t specify those included in the enumeration. Maimonides methodically and artfully crafts a list of 613 commandments in a work that serves as a prolegemen to the Mishneh Torah, his monumental code of law. This book explores the surprising way Maimonides put this tradition to use and his possible rationale for using such a tradition. It also explores many of the philosophical and ethical ideas animating the composition of such a list. In the book's second half, Friedberg examines the manner by which Maimonides formulated positive commandments in the Mishneh Torah, leading him to suggest new dimensions in Maimonides' legal theory.
- Author BiographyAlfred Friedberg (PhD University of Toronto) is a scholar of medieval Jewish literature and philosophy and early rabbinic literature. His published articles include A New Clue in the Dating of the Composition of the Book of Esther, and Maimonides' Reinterpretation of the Thirteenth Article of Faith: Another Look at his Essay on Resurrection .
- Author(s)Albert D. Friedberg
- PublisherAcademic Studies Press
- Date of Publication30/12/2013
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationBrighton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAcademic Studies Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight735 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.