All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $108.51
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
About this product
- DescriptionCrafts and Craftsmen of the Middle East presents research on craft workers within and outside the guild structure from the modern and contemporary Mediterranean world. From the late sixteenth-century Ottoman Empire to traditional style crafts in twentieth-century Turkey and Egypt, the book surveys a multitude of traditions. It begins in 1582 when Istanbul artisans paraded in front of Sultan Murad III; moves through to the eighteenth-century struggles between artisans and tax farmers in Tokat, the artisans of Cairo and the craftsmen of Adana; and into nineteenth-century accounts of Istanbul's women workers and Jewish butchers. This book is essential to all those interested in the history of the culture and society of the Islamic Mediterranean.
- Author BiographySuraiya Faroqhi has been a professor at the Ludwig Maximilians Universitat in Munich, Germany since 1988. She is the author of 'Pilgrims and Sultans, The Haj under the Ottomans' (IB Tauris, 1994) and 'Subjects of the Sultans, Culture and Daily Life in the Ottoman Empire' (IB Tauris, 2000) Randi Deguilhem is a Permanent Senior Researcher (CR1 habilitee) with the CNRS, IREMAM-MMSH, Aix-en-Provence. She has published on a variety of topics, with a particular interest on the pious foundations in modern and contemporary Syria, the intellectual life and educational systems in late Ottoman Damascus and on the French Secular Mission in Mandate Syria.
- Author(s)Randi Deguilhem,Suraiya Faroqhi
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication24/03/2005
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleIslamic Mediterranean
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 4
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note6 b/w pictures
- Weight612 g
- Width134 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine34 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.