All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
About this product
- DescriptionCreating Belfast describes the growth of technical education in Belfast over a 120-year period during which the town developed from a small mercantile community into a large, bustling, industrial city. It explains how technical education contributed to that growth, and how the concept of technical education evolved from the mastery of a trade to include kwledge of the relevant sciences and their possible applications to industry. Whilst the school system made modest inputs to technical education, the book shows that its development throughout the nineteenth century was critically dependent on the efforts of enthusiasts and philanthropists. Serious government intervention did t materialise until the turn of the twentieth century, when grants became available for the development of a co-ordinated system of technical education in Belfast, culminating in the opening of the Belfast Municipal Technical Institute in 1907.
- Author BiographyProfessor Don McCloy is a Belfast man, born and bred. A Chartered Engineer, he has spent most of his career in education and training. He was the first Director of the Belfast Institute of Further and Higher Education - a direct descendant of the Belfast Municipal Technical Institute.
- Author(s)Don McCloy
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication06/04/2009
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations, ports., charts, facsims
- Weight440 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.