All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
About this product
- DescriptionCreating Conservatism charts the vital role of canical post-World War II (1945-1964) books in generating, guiding, and sustaining conservatism as a political force in the United States. Dedicated conservatives have argued for decades that the conservative movement was a product of print, rather than a march, a protest, or a pivotal moment of persecution. The Road to Serfdom, Ideas Have Consequences, Witness, The Conservative Mind, God and Man at Yale, The Conscience of a Conservative, and other mid-century texts became influential t only among conservative office-holders, office-seekers, and well-heeled dors but also at dinner tables, school board meetings, and neighborhood reading groups. These books are remarkable both because they enumerated conservative political positions and because their memorable language demonstrated how to take those positions--functioning, in essence, as debate handbooks. Taking an expansive approach, the author documents the wide influence of the conservative can on traditionalist and libertarian conservatives. By exploring the varied uses to which each founding text has been put from the Cold War to the culture wars, Creating Conservatism generates original insights about the struggle over what it means to think and speak conservatively in America.
- Author BiographyMichael J. Lee is Assistant Professor in the Department of Communication at the College of Charleston, USA, where he teaches and researches in the areas of rhetoric and political communication.
- Author(s)Michael J. Lee
- PublisherMichigan State University Press
- Date of Publication30/07/2014
- SubjectPolitical Ideologies & Parties
- Series TitleRhetoric and Public Affairs Series
- Place of PublicationEast Lansing, MI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMichigan State University Press
- Out-of-print date16/04/2015
- Weight522 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.