All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe existence of Laos today is taken for granted. But the crystallization of a Lao national idea and ultimate independence for the country was a long and uncertain process. This book examines the process through which Laos came into existence under French colonial rule through to the end of World War II. Rather than assuming that the Laos we see today was an historical given, the book looks at how Laos' position at the intersection of two conflicting spatial layouts of 'Thailand' and 'Indochina' made its national form a particularly contested process.This, however, is t an analysis of nation-building from the perspective of administrative and political structures. Rather, the book charts the emergence of a tion of a specifically Lao cultural identity that served to buttress Laos as a separate 'Lao space', both in relation to Siam/Thailand and within French Indochina. Based on an impressive variety of primary sources, many of them never before used in studies of Lao nationalism, this book makes a significant contribution to Lao historical studies and to the study of nation-building in Southeast Asia.
- Author BiographySoren Ivarsson is Associate Professor in History at the University of Copenhagen. He works on the history of Thailand and Laos with a particular focus on nationalism and historiography.
- Author(s)Soren Ivarsson
- PublisherNIAS Press
- Date of Publication01/12/2007
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleNIAS Monograph Series
- Series Part/Volume Number112
- Place of PublicationCopenhagen
- Country of PublicationDenmark
- ImprintNIAS Press
- Content Note11 figs.
- Weight408 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.