All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCreating Writers: 6 Traits, Process, Workshop, and Literature, 6/e, truly puts the six traits of writing in context, showing how they are best taught-within writing workshop and as a way of enriching writing process by combining the elements of traits, literature, workshop, and process. Written by the pioneer of 6-trait writing, this edition organizes all materials by trait, features new one-page writing guides, and offers an increased emphasis on literature, connecting writing to reading as never before. It also provides a clear link between the six traits and the Common Core Standards for Writing and presents new lessons, engaging classroom activities, suggestions for using techlogy, and an expanded collection of student writing sure to promote lively discussions. New to the Sixth Edition: Easy-to-follow organizational design groups all papers, writing guides, literature, and lessons pertaining to a given trait in one chapter. Expanded discussion of writing workshop and process (Chapter 2) shows how to teach the six writing traits within a meaningful context. Increased emphasis on literature truly connects reading and writing with more titles, expanded antations, and a list of exemplary trade books ideal for teaching informational writing. New one-page writing guides simplify assessment, encourage self-evaluation, and display traits in a flexible yet consistent way across a variety of formats, including Teacher Writing Guides, Informational Writing Guides, Early Guides (for primary writers), and Leap-the-River Writing Guides for Students. Improved collection of student writing samples includes over 80 exemplary samples that span a variety of grade levels, abilities, and genres (such as narrative, informational, and persuasive). New lessons that emphasize modeling show teachers how and what to model (including many examples of revision). Clear links between the six traits and the Common Core Standards for Writing provide teachers assurance that their instruction is in alignment with these standards. An extensive discussion of techlogy (Chapter 8) expands our twenty-first century definition of writing to include communication forms like PowerPoint, audio, and video. Revised chapter on quality assessment (Chapter 12) details ways to make both large-scale and classroom writing assessment more quality-driven, student-centered, and useful. A closer look at genre (Chapter 9) examines Purpose and Audience, showing how and why genre might be considered an additional trait of successful writing. Expanded interactive Questions & Activities expand teachers' skills, stimulate their thinking, and build a strong sense of community when used in a study group or teacher preparation classroom. New Author's Notes throughout the text speak directly to readers, citing additional resources, and suggesting lesson adaptations, book recommendations, and ways of differentiating instruction.
- Author BiographyVicki Spandel has worked as a language arts teacher, editor, journalist, technical writer, and award winning video producer. Since her work developing the original, internationally recognized 6-Trait Model for writing assessment and instruction, she has served as scoring director for more than 75 state, county, and district writing assessments. Vicki is a frequent visitor in writing classrooms, providing coaching on writing, revision, and editing. Her books include Creating Writers Through 6-Trait Writing and Creating Young Writers (Allyn & Bacon); The 9 Rights of Every Writer (Heinemann); and The Write Traits series (Great Source Education Group).
- Author(s)Vicki Spandel
- PublisherPearson Education (US)
- Date of Publication08/10/2012
- FormatMixed media product
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationOld Tappan
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAllyn & Bacon
- Content Notecolour illustrations, figures
- Weight1111 g
- Width217 mm
- Height275 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Contained items statementContains Paperback and CD-ROM
- Edition Statement6th Revised edition
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.84
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.70
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $35.01
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.14
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $35.87
- AU $28.96Trending at AU $38.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.