All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $73.90Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.10
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
- AU $17.65Trending at AU $21.74
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $38.98
About this product
- DescriptionPrior to the late nineteenth century, classical Christianity developed social ethics. Rather, it concerned itself with self-purification. Christians needed only to be 'in a state of grace', unsullied and ready for the return of Christ. Muslims, in contrast, have always attempted to Islamicize the world. Today, many Christians and activist post-Christians are moving in that same direction. For them Christianity longer entails a private practice of self-purification, but instead represents an ethical decision to struggle patiently and lovingly towards a new 'reality' in this life. In Creative Faith, Don Cupitt argues that Christians need to replace a heaven-obsessed theology with a new theology of moral striving. No longer should they aim to conserve the self, preparing for eternity: they must simply expend it, by living generously.
- Author BiographyDon Cupitt is the former Dean of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, UK. Ordained in the Church of England in 1959, from 1962 to 1965 he was Vice-Principal of Westcott House, an Anglican theological college in Cambridge, and became Dean of Emmanuel College in 1966. From 1968 to 1996 he also lectured in the Cambridge Faculty of Divinity. He is best known as a teacher and writer. A frequent broadcaster, mainly for the BBC, he has made three TV Series, one of which, The Sea of Faith (1984), also gave rise to a book and to an international network of radical Christians which is still growing. In his writing, and in the various societies he has tried to foster, Don Cupitt attempts to develop new thinking for a new epoch: a new philosophy, a new ethics and a new religious thought.
- Author(s)Don Cupitt
- PublisherPolebridge Press
- Date of Publication30/12/2014
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Place of PublicationSanta Rosa
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPolebridge Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight209 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine8 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.