All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPulitzer Prize-winning poet, consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress (the position later to be kwn as poet laureate ), editor of Poetry magazine-Karl Shapiro was among the commanding poets of the second half of the twentieth century, yet in many circles he is scarcely remembered today. A recent revival of interest in Shapiro has occurred with the Library of America's volume of his poems, edited by John Updike. Now, in this sparkling collection edited by Robert Phillips, Shapiro's most trenchant writings on poetry, poets, and cultural matters are once again available. They display the intelligence, power, and intellectual courage that made Shapiro one of the most important essayists of his generation. He was a lively and slashing critic, Joseph Epstein has written, and reading him one feels windows opening, clouds passing, sunlight, and a fresh breeze entering the room. Creative Glut contains twenty essays on such poets and writers as Eliot, Pound, Yeats, Auden, William Carlos Williams, Dylan Thomas, D. H. Lawrence, Henry Miller, and Randall Jarrell, and on questions of poetry and American culture that Shapiro felt as urgent, including his celebrated pieces In Defense of Igrance and To Abolish Children. In all, this is a savory slice of some of the most challenging criticism of our late century.
- Author BiographyKarl Shapiro (1913-2000) was born in Baltimore, studied at Virginia and Johns Hopkins, and served in the southwest Pacific in World War II. He returned home with the 1945 Pulitzer Prize for his second book of poems, V-Letter and Other Poems, and went on to a long and distinguished career as an American poet, writing books of poetry, autobiography, and essays (including In Defense of Ignorance, The Bourgeois Poet, White-Haired Lover, and To Abolish Children), and teaching at various universities. Robert Phillips teaches in the creative writing program at the University of Houston and is Karl Shapiro's literary executor.
- Author(s)Karl Shapiro,Robert Phillips
- PublisherIvan R Dee, Inc
- Date of Publication23/02/2004
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIvan R Dee, Inc
- Weight417 g
- Width148 mm
- Height212 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $75.22
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.67
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $56.19
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.58
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $22.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.