All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.24
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.97
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $26.15Trending at AU $26.47
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.41
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
About this product
- DescriptionMight creolization offer political theory an approach that would better reflect the heterogeneity of political life? After all, it describes mixtures that were t supposed to have emerged in the plantation societies of the Caribbean but did so through their capacity to exemplify living culture, thought, and political practice. Similar processes continue today, when people who once were strangers find themselves unequal co-occupants of new political locations they both seek to call home. Unlike multiculturalism, in which different cultures are thought to co-exist relatively separately, creolization describes how people reinterpret themselves through interaction with one ather. While indebted to comparative political theory, Gordon offers a critique of comparison by demonstrating the generative capacity of creolizing methodologies. She does so by bringing together the eighteenth-century revolutionary Swiss thinker Jean-Jacques Rousseau and the twentieth-century Martinican-born Algerian liberationist Frantz Fan. While both provocatively challenged whether we can study the world in ways that do t duplicate the prejudices that sustain its inequalities, Fan, she argues, outlined a vision of how to bring into being the democratically legitimate alternatives that Rousseau mainly imagined.
- Author BiographyJane Anna Gordon teaches Political Science and African-American Studies at the University of Connecticut at Storrs.
- Author(s)Jane Anna Gordon
- PublisherFordham University Press
- Date of Publication01/02/2014
- SubjectPolitical Science & Theory
- Series TitleJust Ideas
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFordham University Press
- Weight522 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsCloth
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.