All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $71.21Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
About this product
- DescriptionMichel-Guillaume Jean de Crevecouer, long regarded as a chief figure in American letters of the Revolutionary period, is remembered as the author of Letters from an American Farmer and the posthumous Sketches of Eighteenth Century of America, but his last and most ambitious work has been almost entirely neglected. Published in France as Le Voyage dans la haute Pensylvanie et dans d'etat de New York, Crevecouer's last book was never popular and has t heretofore appeared in English. Yet the Voyage has much to add to Crevecouer's picture of eighteenth-century America, and to our own picture of the American Farmer as a man and writer. The Voyage, written after Crevecouer's sojourn in France and his return to America as French consul, records a new phase both in American history and in the author's life. Adams has arrived at a selection of extracts from Voyage which will be of interest to Crevecouer's many admirers among students of American history and literature. The editor has translated, arranged, and antated these selections to form a collection will be a fit companion for Crevecouer's two volumes of English essays and will supplement the earlier books by recording Crevecouer's final view of the American scene. In his introduction to this collection, Adams presents a thorough analysis of the content and significance of the Voyage and convincingly justifies his contention that, though the work contains much that is t worthy of translation or republication, the selection here published for the first time in English may be regarded as a significant addition to Crevecouer's writings.
- Author BiographyPercy G. Adams , who has translated and edited these selections from Crevecouer's Voyage, is a member of the department of English in the University of Tennessee.
- PublisherThe University Press of Kentucky
- Date of Publication30/07/2014
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationLexington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University Press of Kentucky
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight525 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byPercy G. Adams
- Edition Statementannotated edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.