All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNamed a Best Book of 2015 by NPR and Vanity Fair Rifles through fear, identity, meaning, and cultural memory in forty-four short, surreal stories. --Vanity Fair By turns moving, funny, and maddening.... very much in the key of Donald Barthelme. --The New York Times Book Review Somehow both grounded and absurd, each one of the stories trying get at that heart of the confusion and sadness at the core of contemporary life. --VICE From the highly acclaimed author of Edisto and The Interrogative Mood, Padgett Powell's new collection of stories, Cries for Help, Various, follows his mentor Donald Barthelme's advice that wacky mode must break their hearts. The surrealistic and comical terrain of most of the forty-four stories here is grounded by a real preoccupation with longing, fear, work, loneliness, and cultural stalgia. These universal concerns are given exhilarating life by way of Powell's wit, his . . . dazzling turns of phrase (Scott Spencer). Padgett Powell's language is both lofty and low-down, his tone cranky and heartfelt, exuberant and inconsolable. His characters rebel against convention and ambition, hoping to maintain their very sanity by doing so. Even the most hilarious or fantastical stories in Cries for Help, Various ring gloriously, poignantly, true.
- Author BiographyPadgett Powell is the author of six novels, including The Interrogative Mood and Edisto, which was a finalist for the National Book Award, and two collections of stories. His writing has appeared in The New Yorker, Harper's, and The Paris Review, as well as in The Best American Short Stories and The Best American Sports Writing. He has received a Whiting Writers' Award, the Rome Fellowship in Literature from the American Academy of Arts and Letters, and the James Tait Black Memorial Prize. Powell lives in Gainesville, FL, where he co-directs and teaches at the MFA@FLA, the writing program of the University of Florida.
- Author(s)Padgett Powell
- Date of Publication08/09/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Country of PublicationCanada
- Weight272 g
- Width142 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $73.04
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $83.25
- AU $11.53Trending at AU $16.34
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $15.45
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $21.57Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $11.47Trending at AU $14.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.